Dr. Suorineni has enviable knowledge in the broad spectrum of mining and geosciences, and has played leadership roles within this spectrum in Ghana, Canada and Australia. Prior to joining NU, Dr Suorineni worked at UNSW Sydney as Professor and Inaugural Chair of Mine Geotechnical Engineering in the School of Mining Engineering, Senior Research Engineer and Adjunct Professor with term appointments at Laurentian University, Sudbury, Canada and as Senior Lecturer in the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, Kumasi School of Mines, Tarkwa (Now University of Mines and Technology (UMaT)). Dr. Suorineni obtained his B.Sc. from the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST), Kumasi, Ghana; M.Sc. from the University of Newcastle upon Tyne, Britain and Ph.D. from the University of Waterloo, Canada. Dr. Suorineni is a globally recognised award winning academic with over 30 years’ experience in teaching, research and consulting in Africa, North America and Australasia.
In 2016 Dr. Suorineni was appointed International Member of the Technical Committee on Mining Engineering of China ENFI Engineering Co Ltd. He is also a Visiting Professor to Northeastern University in Shenyang, China. He has given several invited lectures and workshops around the world including, Poland, Turkey, Chile, South Korea, Ghana, China, Brazil and Kazakhstan. Dr. Suorineni has the rare distinction of winning the Douglas Hay Medal twice for best papers published in Transactions of the Institution of Mining and Metallurgy (Section A): Mining Technology in 2012 and 2015. He was also co-Author of the best paper published at the 13th Congress of the International Society for Rock Mechanics (ISRM) in Montreal in 2015. Dr. Suorineni is a permanent member of the International Organizing Committee (IOC) of the World Mining Congress and a Fellow of the Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining (FIMMM), London. He is also a member of SME, CIM, AusIMM and SOMP. Dr. Suorineni has published over 120 papers in journals and conference proceedings, and holds two IPs. He is a Reviewer for several high impact international journals and serves on two journal editorial boards.
- Shuai Xu, Suorineni, T.*, Long An and Yuan Hui Li., 2017. A Study of gravity flow principles of sublevel caving method in dipping narrow veins. Granular Matter (2017) 19:82, DOI 10.1007/s10035-017-0748-z.
- Qingyuan He, Suorineni, F.T.* and Joung Oh, 2017. Effect of discontinuity stress shadows on hydraulic fracture orientation. International Journal of Rock Mechanics & Mining Sciences 91:179–194.
- Shuai Xu, Fidelis T. Suorineni*, Kunmeng Li, Yuanhui Li, 2016. Evaluation of the Strength and Ultrasonic Properties of Foam Cemented Paste Backfill for reduced Dynamic Loading Effects. International Journal of Mining, Reclamation and Environment, http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/17480930.2016.1215782.
- He, Q., Suorineni, F.T.* and Oh, J. 2016. Review of Hydraulic Fracturing for Pre-conditioning in Cave Mining. Journal of Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering, doi:10.1007/s00603-016-1075-0.
- He, Q., Suorineni, F.T.* and Oh, J. 2016. Strategies for creating prescribed hydraulic fractures for pre-conditioning in cave mining. Rock Mech Rock Eng DOI 10.1007/s00603-016-1141-7.
- Tian-Hui Ma, Long Wang, Fidelis Suorineni and Chunan Tang 2016. Study on failure mechanism of mine pillars under shear loading. Shock and Vibration, http://www.hindawi.com/journals/sv/aip/6195482/
- Tibbett, J.D., Suorineni, F.T. and Hebblewhite, B.K. 2016. Preliminary results for investigating rockmass response to undercut blasting within a block cave mining system using VRSV. CIM Journal, Vol. 7, No. 2, pp. 121 – 131.
- Papaioanou, A. and Suorineni, F.T. Development of a generalised dilution-based stability graph for open stope design. Transactions Institution of Mining and Metallurgy (Section A): Mining Technology, DOI:10.1080/14749009.2015.1.
- Suorineni, F.T. Reliability of predictive tools in geo-engineering – Causes of hit and Miss. Ghana Mining Journal, In print.
- Williams, K., Chalmers, D. and Suorineni, F.T. Assessing the suitability of recycled material as a timber substitute in drawpoint design. Mining Education Australia – Research Projects Review, pp. 73 – 82.
- Suorineni, F.T., Mgumbwa, J.J., Kaiser, P.K. and Thibodeau, D. 2014. Mining of orebodies under shear loading Part 2 – Failure modes and mechanisms. Transactions Institution of Mining and Metallurgy (Section A): Mining Technology, Vol. 123(4), pp. 240 – 249. (IOM3 2015 Douglas Hay Medal winning paper).
- Suorineni, F.T., Hebblewhite, B. and Saydam, S. 2014. Geomechanics challenges of contemporary deep mining: a suggested model for increasing future mining safety and productivity. The Journal of the Southern African Institute of Mining and Metallurgy, Vol. 114 pp. 1023 – 1032.
- Suorineni, F.T. Geomechanics challenges and its future direction – Food for thought. Ghana Mining Journal, Vol. 14, pp. 14-20.
- Suorineni, F.T. 2011. Factors influencing overbreak in the Barkers orebody, Kundana Gold mine: narrow vein case study. Paper by: P.C. Stewart, R. Trueman and I. Brunton, 2011: Mining Technology, vol. 120(2), pp. 80-89. Letter to the Editor, Transactions, Institution of Mining and Metallurgy (Section A): Mining Technology.
- Suorineni, F.T., Kaiser, P.K., Mgumbwa, J.J. and Thibodeau, D. 2011. Mining of orebodies under shear loading – Part 1: Case histories. Transactions Institution of Mining and Metallurgy (Section A): Mining Technology, vol. 120(3), pp. 137-147. (IOM3 2012 Douglas Hay Medal winning paper).
- Vasak, P. and Suorineni, F.T. Research to Reality: Extracting more value from mine data using virtual reality and scientific visualization techniques. PositionIT, The Geoinformatics, Surveying, GIS, GPS and Location-based Services Journal for Southern Africa, pp. 62 – 67.
- Suorineni, F.T. The stability graph after three decades in use – Experiences and the way forward. International Journal of Mining, Reclamation and Environment, Vol. 24 (4), pp. 307-3392. (Among Top 10 Most downloaded and read paper in International Journal of Mining, Reclamation and Environment in 2011).
- Suorineni, F.T., Chinassane D.R. and Kaiser P.K. 2009. A procedure for determining rock-type specific brittle Hoek-Brown parameter “s”. Rock Mech. Rock Eng.: 42:849–881.
- Suorineni, F.T., Kaiser P.K., Henning, J.H. Safe rapid drifting – Support selection. Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology:23, pp. 682–699. (Top Hottest 25 articles in Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology in 2008).
- Cai, M., Kaiser P.K., Suorineni, F. and Su, K. 2007. A study on the dynamic behaviour of the Meuse/Haute-Marne argillite. Physics and Chemistry of the Earth, Parts A/B/C, Volume 32, Issues 8-14, 2007, Pages 907-916.
- Suorineni, F.T., Kaiser, P.K., Tannant, D.D. 2001. Likelihood statistic for interpretation of the stability graph for open stope design. Technical Note Int. J. Rock Mech. and Min. Sci., Vol. 38 (5), pp.735-744.
- Suorineni, F.T., Tannant, D.D., Kaiser, P.K., and Dusseault, M.B., 2001. Incorporation of a fault factor into the stability graph method: Kidd Mine case Studies. Mineral Resources Engineering, Vol. 10 (1), pp.3-37).
- Suorineni, F.T., Tannant, D.D., and Kaiser, P.K., 1999. Determination of fault-related sloughage in open stopes. J. Rock Mech. and Min. Sci., Vol. 36 (7), pp. 891-906.
- Suorineni, F.T., Tannant, D.D., and Kaiser, P.K., 1999. Fault factor for the stability graph method of open-stope design. Instn. Min. Metall., (Section A: Mining Industry), London, Vol. 108, p. A92-104.
- Kuma, J.S. and Suorineni, F.T., A suggested solution to the blind zone problem in shallow exploration surveys. Engineering Geology (43) 1, pp. 57-64.
- Value added mining systems (including block caving and open stopes)
- Current and emerging mining technologies (Including Big Data and Virtual/Augmented Reality applications, space technology)
- Rockbursts and seismicity
- Ground support
- Rockmass characterization and material testing (including thin spray-on liners (TSL), rock tendon support elements and acoustic emission apllications)
Профессор Али Мортазави тау-кен ісі саласындағы ғылым бакалавр дәрежесін 1990 жылы Амир Кабир атындағы Технологиялық Университетінен (Иран) алды. 1994 жылы Рок механикасы саласындағы ғылым магистрі дәрежесін Макгилл Университетінен (Канада) алды, ал 2000 жылы докторантура дәрежесін Квин Университетінен (Канада) алған болатын. Назарбаев Университетіне келмес бұрын, д-р Мортазави Амир Кабир атындағы Технологиялық Университетінде профессор ретінде жұмыс жасады, сонымен қатар Макгилл Университетінің Тау-кен ісі және материалдық технология бөлімінің ғылыми қызметкері болды. Оның жетекшілігінде 48-ден астам магистранттар мен докторантура студенттері болды және беделді халықаралық журналдар мен конференцияларда 100-ден астам мақалалар мен баяндамалар дайындап шығарды және "Rock Dynamics (AUT Publishing) и Constitutive Modeling of Geomaterials: Advances and New Applications (Springer)" атты екі кітаптың авторы / қосалқы авторы болып табылады. Сондай-ақ, ол "Development, design, and construction of a true triaxial system for reservoir depletion simulation under real rock stress and fluid pressure fields" атты патентімен бөліседі. Доктор Мортазави Канаданың және Иранның тау-кен, геотехникалық және мұнай-газ өнеркәсібіндегі тау-кен жобаларды оқыту, зерттеу және басқару саласында 20 жылдан астам тәжірибесі бар. Иранның редакциялық алқасында жұмыс істейді және көптеген беделді халықаралық журналдардың шолушысы болып табылады.
Peer Reviewed ISI Journal Publications
- Atapour H., Mortazavi A., Development of a new true triaxial stress loading and pore pressure applying system for investigations of petroleum geomechanics applications, submitted to Geotechnical Testing Journal, ASTM International, Revised paper Under Review, 2019.
- Mortazavi A., Atapour H., An experimental study of stress changes induced by reservoir depletion under true triaxial stress loading conditions, Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, Elsevier Ltd, Accepted online, August 2018.
- Atapour H., Mortazavi A., The Influence of mean grain size on uniaxial compressive strength of weakly consolidated reservoir sandstones, Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, Elsevier Ltd, Accepted online, July 2018.
- Atapour H., Mortazavi A., The effect of grain size and cement content on index properties of weakly solidified artificial sandstones, Journal of Geophysics and Engineering, IOP Science, February, 2018.
- Karimi M., Mortazavi A., Ahmadi M., Applying an Optimized Proxy-Based Workflow for Fast History matching, Arabian Journal of Geosciences, Springer Ltd, 10:462, October, 2017.
- Moghadami M., Mortazavi A., Development of a risk-based methodology for rock slope analysis, International Journal of Civil Engineering, Springer Ltd, Published online July 3rd, 2017.
- Mortazavi A., Maadikhah A., An investigation of the effects of important grouting and rock parameters on the grouting process, Geomechanics & Geoengineering: An International Journal, Taylor & Francis, Vol. 3, 219-235, 2016.
Mortazavi A., Saati V., Numerical investigation of Extra Large Flat Jack Testing of Bakhtiyari Dam Project, Geotechnical Testing Journal, ASTM International, Vol. 40, No. 3, 1-17, 2017.
Mortazavi A., Nasab H., Analysis of the behaviour of large underground oil storage caverns in salt rock, International Journal for Numerical and Analytical Methods in Geomechanics, Sep. Issue, 1545-1561, John Wiley Ltd., 2016.
Mortazavi A., Abbaslo Z., Ebrahimi L., Keshavarz A., Masoomi A., Geotechnical investigation and design of leaching heap No. 2, Meydook copper mine, Iran, Minerals Engineering, Elsevier Ltd., Vol. 79, 185-195, 2015.
Hamidi F., Mortazavi A., A new three dimensional approach to numerically model hydraulic fracturing process, Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, Elsevier Ltd., No. 124, 451-467, 2014.
Mortazavi A., Tabatabaee Alavi F., A numerical study of the behavior of fully grouted rockbolts under dynamic loading, Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, Elsevier Ltd., Vol. 54 , pp. 66-72, 2013.
Nasehi M.J., Mortazavi A., Investigation of the effects of in-situ stress regime and intact rock strength parameters on the hydraulic fracturing process, Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, Elsevier Ltd., Vol. 108, 211-221, 2013.
Mortazavi A., Molladavoodi H., A numerical investigation of brittle rock damage mechanics in deep underground openings, Engineering Fracture Mechanics, Elsevier Ltd., No. 90, 101-120, 2012.
Molladavoodi H., Mortazavi A., A damage-based numerical analysis of brittle rocks failure mechanism, Finite Elements in Analysis and Design, Elsevier Ltd., No. 9, 991-1003, 2011.
Selected Conference Paper Publications
- Mortazavi A., Abbaslo Z., Ebrahimi L., Keshavarz A., Masoumi A., Geotechnical analysis and design of leaching heap No. 2, Meydook Copper Mine, The 13th International ISRM Congress (Best paper award), 2015, May 10-13, Montreal, Canada
- Mortazavi A., Nasab H., A numerical investigation of the behaviour of large underground oil storage caverns in soft rocks, The 13th International ISRM Congress, 2015, May 10-13, Montreal, Canada.
- Mortazavi A., Moghadami M., Development of a risk assessment model for underground openings, 23rd World Mining Congress, 2013, August 11-15, Montreal, Canada.
- Mortazavi A., Tabatabaee Alavi F., A study of the behaviour of fully grouted rockbolts subjected to dynamic loading in underground mining, Sixth International Seminar on Deep and High Stress Mining, 2012, March 28-30, Perth, Australia.
- Mortazavi A., Sharafisafa M., Numerical analysis of effect of Rock Bridge on blast-induced wave propagation in jointed media, Rock Fragmentation By Blasting Conference, Fragblast 10, 2012: November 24-29, New Delhi, India.
- Gharadash S., Mortazavi A., Determination of optimal face pressure in EPB shield tunneling in soft ground-A case study Mashhad Metro line 2, The 45th US Rock Mechanics Symposium and 5th US-Canada Rock Mechanics Symposium, 2011, June 25-29, San Francisco, USA.
- Hamidi F., Mortazavi A., Three Dimensional Modeling of Hydraulic Fracturing Process in Oil Reservoirs, 46th US Rock Mechanics/Geomechanics Symposium, Chicago (ARMA), USA, 2011: June 23–27.
- Mortazavi A., Molladavodi H., Development of a damage-based constitutive model for brittle rocks, The 44th US Rock Mechanics Symposium and 5th US-Canada Rock Mechanics Symposium, 2010, June 27-30, Salt Lake City, USA.
- Mortazavi A., Asadipour M., Eslami M., Atashpanjeh A., Salajegheh P., Full-scale 3D slope stability analysis of Sarcheshmeh mine west wall, The 44th US Rock Mechanics Symposium and 5th US-Canada Rock Mechanics Symposium, 2010, June 27-30, Salt Lake City, USA.
- Bonakdar A., Mortazavi A, Implementation of joint roughness into discontinuum modeling of jointed rock masses, International Conference on Rock Joints and Jointed Rock Masses, 2009, January 7-8, Tucson, Arizona, USA.
- Mortazavi A., Fathi E., A numerical investigation of the effect of blasthole delay in rock fragmentation”, 9th International Symposium on Rock Fragmentation by Blasting-FRAGBLAST 9, Sep. 2009, Spain, Granada,.
- Mortazavi A., Modelling of crater blasting in jointed rock mass using discontinuous deformation analysis, 8th International Symposium on Rock Fragmentation by Blasting-FRAGBLAST 8, May 2006, Santiago, Chile.
- Grayeli R., Mortazavi A, Implementation of a quadratic triangular mesh into the DDA method, The 7th International Conference on Analysis of Discontinuous Deformations– ICADD-7, December 2005, Hawaii, USA.
- Open Pit Mine Design
- Rock Dynamics
- Numerical modeling
- Deep & Large underground structures
- High slope analysis and design
- Petroleum geomechanics
- Rock fragmentation