- PhD (1998), University of Waterloo, Canada
- MSc (1983), University of Newcastle upon Tyne, Britain
- BSc (1980), Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, Kumasi, Ghana
- 2018 to date: Professor of Mining Engineering, School of Mining and Geosciences, Nazarbayev University, Astana, Kazakhstan
- 2013 - 2017: Inaugural Chair of Mine Geotechnical Engineering, School of Mining Engineering, University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia.
- 2001 - 2013: Senior Research Engineer, Geomechanics Research Centre, Laurentian University, Sudbury Canada
- 2001 - 2015: Adjunct Professor (Term appointments), School of Engineering, Laurentian University, Sudbury Canada
- 1998 - 2001: Post-Doctoral Fellow, Geomechanics Research Centre, Laurentian University, Sudbury, Canada
- 1994 - 1998: Research Assistant, Geomechanics Research Centre, Laurentian University, Sudbury Canada
- 1989 - 1994: Senior Lecturer, School of Mines, Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, Kumasi, Ghana
- 1983 - 1989: Lecturer, School of Mines, Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, Kumasi, Ghana
- 1980 - 1982: Teaching Assistant, School of Mines, Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, Kumasi, Ghana
- 1976 - 1977: Intern, Prestea State Goldfelds, Prestea, Ghana
- Best Paper at the 13th International Congress of the International Society for Rock Mechanics (ISRM), Montreal, 2015.
- Douglas Hay Medal – Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining (IOM3), 2015
- Speaker: 16th Kenneth Finlay Lecture, UNSW Australia, 17th October 2013.
- Douglas Hay Medal – Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining (IOM3), 2012
- International Students Scholarship, University of Waterloo, 1996
- Outstanding PhD Research Proposal Scholarship, University of Waterloo, 1994
- Ghana Government Scholarship, 1994 -1998
- Dean's List - Faculty of Science, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Canada
- United Nations Development Program Fellowship (UNDP), 1985
- Deutche Geseeschaft für Technische Zusammenarbeit (GTZ) GmbH Scholarship, 1982 – 1983
- Value added mining systems (including block caving and open stopes)
- Current and emerging mining technologies (Including Big Data and Virtual/Augmented Reality applications, space technology)
- Rockbursts and seismicity
- Ground support
- Rockmass characterization and material testing (including thin spray-on liners (TSL), rock tendon support elements and acoustic emission apllications)
- Shuai Xu, Suorineni, T.*, Long An and Yuan Hui Li., 2017. A Study of gravity flow principles of sublevel caving method in dipping narrow veins. Granular Matter (2017) 19:82, DOI 10.1007/s10035-017-0748-z.
- Qingyuan He, Suorineni, F.T.* and Joung Oh, 2017. Effect of discontinuity stress shadows on hydraulic fracture orientation. International Journal of Rock Mechanics & Mining Sciences 91:179–194.
- Shuai Xu, Fidelis T. Suorineni*, Kunmeng Li, Yuanhui Li, 2016. Evaluation of the Strength and Ultrasonic Properties of Foam Cemented Paste Backfill for reduced Dynamic Loading Effects. International Journal of Mining, Reclamation and Environment, http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/17480930.2016.1215782.
- He, Q., Suorineni, F.T.* and Oh, J. 2016. Review of Hydraulic Fracturing for Pre-conditioning in Cave Mining. Journal of Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering, doi:10.1007/s00603-016-1075-0.
- He, Q., Suorineni, F.T.* and Oh, J. 2016. Strategies for creating prescribed hydraulic fractures for pre-conditioning in cave mining. Rock Mech Rock Eng DOI 10.1007/s00603-016-1141-7.
- Tian-Hui Ma, Long Wang, Fidelis Suorineni and Chunan Tang 2016. Study on failure mechanism of mine pillars under shear loading. Shock and Vibration, http://www.hindawi.com/journals/sv/aip/6195482/
- Tibbett, J.D., Suorineni, F.T. and Hebblewhite, B.K. 2016. Preliminary results for investigating rockmass response to undercut blasting within a block cave mining system using VRSV. CIM Journal, Vol. 7, No. 2, pp. 121 – 131.
- Papaioanou, A. and Suorineni, F.T. Development of a generalised dilution-based stability graph for open stope design. Transactions Institution of Mining and Metallurgy (Section A): Mining Technology, DOI:10.1080/14749009.2015.1.
- Suorineni, F.T. Reliability of predictive tools in geo-engineering – Causes of hit and Miss. Ghana Mining Journal, In print.
- Williams, K., Chalmers, D. and Suorineni, F.T. Assessing the suitability of recycled material as a timber substitute in drawpoint design. Mining Education Australia – Research Projects Review, pp. 73 – 82.
- Suorineni, F.T., Mgumbwa, J.J., Kaiser, P.K. and Thibodeau, D. 2014. Mining of orebodies under shear loading Part 2 – Failure modes and mechanisms. Transactions Institution of Mining and Metallurgy (Section A): Mining Technology, Vol. 123(4), pp. 240 – 249. (IOM3 2015 Douglas Hay Medal winning paper).
- Suorineni, F.T., Hebblewhite, B. and Saydam, S. 2014. Geomechanics challenges of contemporary deep mining: a suggested model for increasing future mining safety and productivity. The Journal of the Southern African Institute of Mining and Metallurgy, Vol. 114 pp. 1023 – 1032.
- Suorineni, F.T. Geomechanics challenges and its future direction – Food for thought. Ghana Mining Journal, Vol. 14, pp. 14-20.
- Suorineni, F.T. 2011. Factors influencing overbreak in the Barkers orebody, Kundana Gold mine: narrow vein case study. Paper by: P.C. Stewart, R. Trueman and I. Brunton, 2011: Mining Technology, vol. 120(2), pp. 80-89. Letter to the Editor, Transactions, Institution of Mining and Metallurgy (Section A): Mining Technology.
- Suorineni, F.T., Kaiser, P.K., Mgumbwa, J.J. and Thibodeau, D. 2011. Mining of orebodies under shear loading – Part 1: Case histories. Transactions Institution of Mining and Metallurgy (Section A): Mining Technology, vol. 120(3), pp. 137-147. (IOM3 2012 Douglas Hay Medal winning paper).
- Vasak, P. and Suorineni, F.T. Research to Reality: Extracting more value from mine data using virtual reality and scientific visualization techniques. PositionIT, The Geoinformatics, Surveying, GIS, GPS and Location-based Services Journal for Southern Africa, pp. 62 – 67.
- Suorineni, F.T. The stability graph after three decades in use – Experiences and the way forward. International Journal of Mining, Reclamation and Environment, Vol. 24 (4), pp. 307-3392. (Among Top 10 Most downloaded and read paper in International Journal of Mining, Reclamation and Environment in 2011).
- Suorineni, F.T., Chinassane D.R. and Kaiser P.K. 2009. A procedure for determining rock-type specific brittle Hoek-Brown parameter “s”. Rock Mech. Rock Eng.: 42:849–881.
- Suorineni, F.T., Kaiser P.K., Henning, J.H. Safe rapid drifting – Support selection. Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology:23, pp. 682–699. (Top Hottest 25 articles in Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology in 2008).
- Cai, M., Kaiser P.K., Suorineni, F. and Su, K. 2007. A study on the dynamic behaviour of the Meuse/Haute-Marne argillite. Physics and Chemistry of the Earth, Parts A/B/C, Volume 32, Issues 8-14, 2007, Pages 907-916.
- Suorineni, F.T., Kaiser, P.K., Tannant, D.D. 2001. Likelihood statistic for interpretation of the stability graph for open stope design. Technical Note Int. J. Rock Mech. and Min. Sci., Vol. 38 (5), pp.735-744.
- Suorineni, F.T., Tannant, D.D., Kaiser, P.K., and Dusseault, M.B., 2001. Incorporation of a fault factor into the stability graph method: Kidd Mine case Studies. Mineral Resources Engineering, Vol. 10 (1), pp.3-37).
- Suorineni, F.T., Tannant, D.D., and Kaiser, P.K., 1999. Determination of fault-related sloughage in open stopes. J. Rock Mech. and Min. Sci., Vol. 36 (7), pp. 891-906.
- Suorineni, F.T., Tannant, D.D., and Kaiser, P.K., 1999. Fault factor for the stability graph method of open-stope design. Instn. Min. Metall., (Section A: Mining Industry), London, Vol. 108, p. A92-104.
- Kuma, J.S. and Suorineni, F.T., A suggested solution to the blind zone problem in shallow exploration surveys. Engineering Geology (43) 1, pp. 57-64.
- Open Pit Mine Design
- Rock Dynamics
- Numerical modeling
- Deep & Large underground structures
- High slope analysis and design
- Petroleum geomechanics
- Rock fragmentation
Peer Reviewed ISI Journal Publications
- Atapour H., Mortazavi A., Development of a new true triaxial stress loading and pore pressure applying system for investigations of petroleum geomechanics applications, submitted to Geotechnical Testing Journal, ASTM International, Revised paper Under Review, 2019.
- Mortazavi A., Atapour H., An experimental study of stress changes induced by reservoir depletion under true triaxial stress loading conditions, Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, Elsevier Ltd, Accepted online, August 2018.
- Atapour H., Mortazavi A., The Influence of mean grain size on uniaxial compressive strength of weakly consolidated reservoir sandstones, Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, Elsevier Ltd, Accepted online, July 2018.
- Atapour H., Mortazavi A., The effect of grain size and cement content on index properties of weakly solidified artificial sandstones, Journal of Geophysics and Engineering, IOP Science, February, 2018.
- Karimi M., Mortazavi A., Ahmadi M., Applying an Optimized Proxy-Based Workflow for Fast History matching, Arabian Journal of Geosciences, Springer Ltd, 10:462, October, 2017.
- Moghadami M., Mortazavi A., Development of a risk-based methodology for rock slope analysis, International Journal of Civil Engineering, Springer Ltd, Published online July 3rd, 2017.
- Mortazavi A., Maadikhah A., An investigation of the effects of important grouting and rock parameters on the grouting process, Geomechanics & Geoengineering: An International Journal, Taylor & Francis, Vol. 3, 219-235, 2016.
Mortazavi A., Saati V., Numerical investigation of Extra Large Flat Jack Testing of Bakhtiyari Dam Project, Geotechnical Testing Journal, ASTM International, Vol. 40, No. 3, 1-17, 2017.
Mortazavi A., Nasab H., Analysis of the behaviour of large underground oil storage caverns in salt rock, International Journal for Numerical and Analytical Methods in Geomechanics, Sep. Issue, 1545-1561, John Wiley Ltd., 2016.
Mortazavi A., Abbaslo Z., Ebrahimi L., Keshavarz A., Masoomi A., Geotechnical investigation and design of leaching heap No. 2, Meydook copper mine, Iran, Minerals Engineering, Elsevier Ltd., Vol. 79, 185-195, 2015.
Hamidi F., Mortazavi A., A new three dimensional approach to numerically model hydraulic fracturing process, Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, Elsevier Ltd., No. 124, 451-467, 2014.
Mortazavi A., Tabatabaee Alavi F., A numerical study of the behavior of fully grouted rockbolts under dynamic loading, Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, Elsevier Ltd., Vol. 54 , pp. 66-72, 2013.
Nasehi M.J., Mortazavi A., Investigation of the effects of in-situ stress regime and intact rock strength parameters on the hydraulic fracturing process, Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, Elsevier Ltd., Vol. 108, 211-221, 2013.
Mortazavi A., Molladavoodi H., A numerical investigation of brittle rock damage mechanics in deep underground openings, Engineering Fracture Mechanics, Elsevier Ltd., No. 90, 101-120, 2012.
Molladavoodi H., Mortazavi A., A damage-based numerical analysis of brittle rocks failure mechanism, Finite Elements in Analysis and Design, Elsevier Ltd., No. 9, 991-1003, 2011.
Selected Conference Paper Publications
- Mortazavi A., Abbaslo Z., Ebrahimi L., Keshavarz A., Masoumi A., Geotechnical analysis and design of leaching heap No. 2, Meydook Copper Mine, The 13th International ISRM Congress (Best paper award), 2015, May 10-13, Montreal, Canada
- Mortazavi A., Nasab H., A numerical investigation of the behaviour of large underground oil storage caverns in soft rocks, The 13th International ISRM Congress, 2015, May 10-13, Montreal, Canada.
- Mortazavi A., Moghadami M., Development of a risk assessment model for underground openings, 23rd World Mining Congress, 2013, August 11-15, Montreal, Canada.
- Mortazavi A., Tabatabaee Alavi F., A study of the behaviour of fully grouted rockbolts subjected to dynamic loading in underground mining, Sixth International Seminar on Deep and High Stress Mining, 2012, March 28-30, Perth, Australia.
- Mortazavi A., Sharafisafa M., Numerical analysis of effect of Rock Bridge on blast-induced wave propagation in jointed media, Rock Fragmentation By Blasting Conference, Fragblast 10, 2012: November 24-29, New Delhi, India.
- Gharadash S., Mortazavi A., Determination of optimal face pressure in EPB shield tunneling in soft ground-A case study Mashhad Metro line 2, The 45th US Rock Mechanics Symposium and 5th US-Canada Rock Mechanics Symposium, 2011, June 25-29, San Francisco, USA.
- Hamidi F., Mortazavi A., Three Dimensional Modeling of Hydraulic Fracturing Process in Oil Reservoirs, 46th US Rock Mechanics/Geomechanics Symposium, Chicago (ARMA), USA, 2011: June 23–27.
- Mortazavi A., Molladavodi H., Development of a damage-based constitutive model for brittle rocks, The 44th US Rock Mechanics Symposium and 5th US-Canada Rock Mechanics Symposium, 2010, June 27-30, Salt Lake City, USA.
- Mortazavi A., Asadipour M., Eslami M., Atashpanjeh A., Salajegheh P., Full-scale 3D slope stability analysis of Sarcheshmeh mine west wall, The 44th US Rock Mechanics Symposium and 5th US-Canada Rock Mechanics Symposium, 2010, June 27-30, Salt Lake City, USA.
- Bonakdar A., Mortazavi A, Implementation of joint roughness into discontinuum modeling of jointed rock masses, International Conference on Rock Joints and Jointed Rock Masses, 2009, January 7-8, Tucson, Arizona, USA.
- Mortazavi A., Fathi E., A numerical investigation of the effect of blasthole delay in rock fragmentation”, 9th International Symposium on Rock Fragmentation by Blasting-FRAGBLAST 9, Sep. 2009, Spain, Granada,.
- Mortazavi A., Modelling of crater blasting in jointed rock mass using discontinuous deformation analysis, 8th International Symposium on Rock Fragmentation by Blasting-FRAGBLAST 8, May 2006, Santiago, Chile.
- Grayeli R., Mortazavi A, Implementation of a quadratic triangular mesh into the DDA method, The 7th International Conference on Analysis of Discontinuous Deformations– ICADD-7, December 2005, Hawaii, USA.
- Stability of hydrocarbons at high temperatures and pressures.
- Organic carbon in metamorphic rocks.
- Abiogenic synthesis of organic compounds in mid-ocean ridge hydrothermal systems.
- Geochemistry of sulfur in petroleum systems.
- Ménez, B., Pisapia, C., Andreani, M., Jamme, F., Vanbellingen, Q.P., Brunelle, A., Richard, L., Dumas, P., Réfrégiers, M. (2018) Abiotic synthesis of amino acids in the recesses of the oceanic lithosphere. Nature 564, 59-63.
- Gérard, E., De Goeyse, S., Hugoni, M., Agogué, H., Richard, L., Milesi, V., Guyot, F., Lecourt L., Borensztajn, S., Joseph, M.-B., Leclerc, T., Sarazin, G., Jezequel, D., Leboulanger, C., Ader, M. (2018) Key role of Alphaproteobacteria and Cyanobacteria in the formation of stromatolites of Lake Dziani Dzaha (Mayotte, Western Indian Ocean). Frontiers in Microbiology 9, paper 796.
- Brosse, É., Bachaud, P., Richard, L., Michel, A., Guichet, X., Rossi, T., Blancke, R., Gaucher, É.C., Parra, T. (2017) Quantification of carbon dioxide sourced by mineral reactions in ultradeep sedimentary basins. Marine and Petroleum Geology 81, 112-133.
- Milesi, V., Guyot, F., Brunet, F., Richard, L., Recham, N., Benedetti, M., Dairou, J., Prinzhofer, A. (2015) Formation of CO2, H2 and condensed carbon from siderite dissolution in the 200-300°C range and at 50 MPa. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 154, 201-211.
- Richard, L., Uteyev, R., Peters, H. (2014) Thermodynamic description of organic/inorganic interactions in TSR reservoirs. SPE Annual Caspian Technical Conference and Exhibition, 12-14 november 2014, Astana, Kazakhstan. Publication SPE-172254-MS.
- Al-Khirbash, S., Sehmi, K., Richard, L., Nasir, S., Al-Harthy, A. (2014) Rare earth element mobility during laterization of mafic rocks of the Oman ophiolite. Arabian Journal of Geosciences 7, 5443-5454.
- Grivé, M., García, D., Domènech, C., Richard, L., Rojo, I., Martínez, X., Rovira, M. (2013) A quantitative speciation model for the adsorption of organic pollutants on activated carbon. Water Science & Technology 68, 1370-1376.
- Richard, L., Gaona, X. (2011) Thermodynamic properties of organic iodine compounds. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 75, 7304-7350.
- Helgeson, H.C., Richard, L., McKenzie, W.F., Norton, D., Schmitt, A. (2009) A chemical and thermodynamic model of oil generation in hydrocarbon source-rocks. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 73, 594-695.
- Franiatte, M., Richard, L., Elie, M., Nguyen-Trung, C., LaRowe, D.E. (2008) Hydrothermal stability of adenine under controlled fugacities of N2, CO2, and H2. Origins of Life and Evolution of Biospheres 38, 139-148.
- Richard, L., Neuville, N., Sterpenich, J., Perfetti, E., Lacharpagne, J.-Cl. (2005) Thermodynamic analysis of organic/inorganic reactions involving sulfur: Implications for the sequestration of H2S in carbonate reservoirs. Oil & Gas Science and Technology 60, 265-275.
- Richard, L. (2001) Calculation of the standard molal thermodynamic properties as a function of temperature and pressure of some geochemically important organic sulfur compounds. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 65, 3827-3877.
- Richard, L., Helgeson, H.C. (2001) Thermodynamic calculation of the distribution of organic sulfur compounds in crude oil as a function of temperature, pressure, and H2S fugacity. Proceedings of the 10th International Symposium on Water-Rock Interaction, pp. 333-335 (3 pages). WRI-10, 10-15 june 2001, Villasimius, Italy.
- Richard, L. (2000) Sur l´origine des ions chlorure dans les eaux salines des massifs granitiques. Comptes-Rendus de l´Académie des Sciences, Série IIa, Sciences de la Terre et des Planètes 331, 783-788.
- Richard, L., Helgeson, H.C. (1998) Calculation of the thermodynamic properties at elevated temperatures and pressures of saturated and aromatic high molecular weight solid and liquid hydrocarbons in kerogen, bitumen, petroleum, and other organic matter of biogeochemical interest. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 62, 3591-3636.
- Helgeson, H.C., Owens, C.E., Knox, A.M., Richard, L. (1998) Calculation of the standard molal thermodynamic properties of crystalline, liquid, and gas organic molecules at high temperatures and pressures. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 62, 985-1081.
- Richard, L., Helgeson, H.C. (1995) Calculation of the thermodynamic properties at elevated temperatures and pressures of high molecular weight organic compounds of geochemical interest. Proceedings of the 8th International Symposium on Water-Rock Interaction, pp. 263-267. WRI-8, 15-19 august 1995, Vladivostok, Russia.
Production Engineering and Production Optimization, Well Stimulation, Formation Damage, Experimental Studies and Modeling of Reservoir Performance and Enhanced Oil Recovery
Available PhD Topics
- Study of fines migration effect on the performance of low salinity water flooding in sandstones
- Hybrid chemical/low salinity water flooding EOR method in carbonate formations
For more information, please contact email@example.com
- Fouladi, M. M., Rostami, B., and Pourafshary, P., ”Effects of the Presence of Fines on the Performance of Low Salinity Waterflooding”, Special Topics & Reviews in Porous Media, 2019, 10(2), 155-169
- Sharifipour, M., Pourafshary, P., Nakhaee, A., “Model Development of Permeability Impairment due to Clay Swelling in Porous Media using Micromodels”, Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, 2019, 175, 728-742
- Mansouri, M., and Pourafshary, P., “Effect of SiO2 nanoparticles on Fines Stabilization during Low Salinity Water Flooding”, Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, 2019, 174, 637-648
- Bastami, A., Pourafshary, P., Shafiei., “A. Densities for Ternary System of CaCl2–H2O–CO2 at Elevated P-T: An Experimental and Modeling Approach” Energies, 2018, 11, 2840
- Al-Matroushi, M., Pourafshary, P., Al-Wahaibi, Y., & Mosavat, N., “Efficiency of nano-water/gas alternating injection technique to enhance oil recovery in an oil field”, International Journal of Oil, Gas and Coal Technology, 2018, 19(2), 149-162.
- Al Abri, H., Pourafshary, P., Mosavat, N., Al Hadrami, H,” A Study of the Performance of the LSWA CO2 EOR Technique on Improvement of Oil Recovery in Sandstones” Petroleum, 2018, Available online.
- Al Nofli, Kh., Pourafshary, P., Mosavat, N., Shafiei, Al, “Effect of Initial Wettability on Performance of Smart Water Flooding in Carbonate Reservoirs—An Experimental Investigation with IOR Implications” Energies, 2018, 11(6), 1394
- Hourfar, F., Salahshoor, K., Zanbouri, H., Elkamel, A., Pourafshary, P., Moshiri, B.,
- “A Systematic Approach for Modeling of Waterflooding Process in the Presence of Geological Uncertainties in Oil Reservoirs” Computers & Chemical Engineering, 2018, 111, 66-78
- Rostami, B., Pourafshary, P., Fathollahi, A., Yassin, M., Hassani, K., Khosravi, M., Mohammadifar, M., “A new approach to characterize the performance of heavy oil recovery due to various gas injection” International Journal of Multiphase Flow, 2018, 99, 273-283
- Motamedi, P., Bargozin, H., Pourafshary, P., “Management of implementation of nanotechnology in upstream oil industry: An analytic hierarchy process analysis” Journal of Energy Resources Technology, 2018, 140(5), 052908.
- Al Kharousi, B., Pourafshary, P., Mosavat, N., Al Wahaibi, Y., “Design and Performance of Smart Water Shock Injection (SWSI) in Carbonate Reservoirs” SPE Paper 192557 presented at SPE Annual Caspian Conference and Exhibition, 31 October - 2 November, 2018, Astana, Kazakhstan
- Assef, Y., Pourafshary, P., Pereira Almao, P., “ Effects Of Hysteresis And Miscibility On Cyclic Co2 Injection Performance In Unconventional Tight Oil Reservoir, A Bakken Case Study” presented at Abu Dhabi International Petroleum Exhibition and Conference (ADIPEC), 12 – 15 November, 2018, Abu Dhabi, UAE
- Fani, M., Pourafshary, P., Mosavat, N., “Optimizing Smart Water Slug Injection in Carbonates” SPE Paper 193014 presented at Abu Dhabi International Petroleum Exhibition and Conference (ADIPEC), 12 – 15 November, 2018, Abu Dhabi, UAE
- Hasannejad , R., Pourafshary, P., Vatani A. Sameni A., “Application of Silica Nanofluid to Control Initiation of Fines Migration,” Petroleum Exploration and Development, 2017, 44(5), 850-859
- Jalilian M, Pourafshary P, Sola B, Kamari M., “Optimization of Smart Water Chemical Composition for Carbonate Rocks Through Comparison of Active Cations Performance,” Journal of Energy Resources Technology, 2017, 139(6), 062904-062904-9
- Khiabani, N., Bahramian, P., Chen, P., Pourafshary, P., Goddard, W.A.,” Calcium Chloride Adsorption at Liquid-Liquid Interfaces: A Molecular Dynamics Simulation Study,” Colloid and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects, 2017, 572, 70-80.
- Saboorian-Jooybari H, Pourafshary P., “ Potential Severity of Phase Trapping in Petroleum Reservoirs: An Analytical Approach to Prediction,” SPE Journal, 2017, 22 (03), 863-874
- Sharifipour, M., Pourafshary, P., Nakhaee, A., “Study of the effect of clay swelling on the oil recovery factor in porous media using a glass micromodel,” Applied Clay Science, 2017, 141, 125-131
- Moradi B., Pourafshary P., Jalali F., Mohammadi M., “Effects of Nanoparticles on Gas Production/Viscosity Reduction/Foam Formation During Nanofluid Alternating Gas Injection in Low And High Permeable Carbonate Reservoirs.” The Canadian Journal of Chemical Engineering, 2017, 95 (3), 479-490
- Engineering geology & geotechnics
- Rock engineering & TBM tunneling
- Rock mass characterization & testing
- Adoko AC, Gokceoglu C, Yagiz S. Bayesian prediction of TBM penetration rate in rock mass, Engineering Geology, DOI: doi.org/10.1016/j.enggeo.2017.06.014 (2017).
- Ghasemi E, Kalhori H, Bagherpour R, Yagiz S. Model tree approach for determining uniaxial compressive strength and Young’s modulus of carbonate rocks, Bulletin of Engineering Geology and the Environment, DOI: 10.1007/s10064-016-0931-1 (2017).
- Armaghani DJ, Mohamad ET, Narayanasamy S, Narita N, Yagiz S. Development of hybrid intelligent models for predicting TBM penetration rate in hard rock condition, Tunneling and Underground Space Technology, 63, 29-43 (2017).
- Khandelwal M, Faradonbeh R, Monjezi M, Armaghani DJ, Majid MZBA, Yagiz S. Function development for appraising brittleness of intact rocks using genetic programming and non‑linear multiple regression models, Engineering with Computers, 33, 13-21 (2017).
- Yagiz S. New equations for predicting the field penetration index of tunnel boring machines in fractured rock mass, Arabian Journal of Geosciences, 10:2, 33, 1-13 (2017).
- Armaghani DJ, Amin MFM, Yagiz S, Faradonbeh R, Abdullah RA. Prediction of the uniaxial compressive strength of sandstone using various modelling techniques, International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences, 85, 174-186 (2016).
- Armaghani DJ, Mohamad ET, Hajihassanic M, Yagiz S, Motaghedie H. Application of several non-linear prediction tools for estimating uniaxial compressive strength of granitic rocks and comparison of their performances, Engineering with Computers, 32, 189-206 (2016).
- Yagiz S, Karahan H. Application of various optimization techniques and comparison of their performances for predicting TBM penetration rate in rock mass, International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences, 80, 308-315 (2015).
- Frough O, Torabi SR, Yagiz S. Application of RMR for estimating rock mass related TBM utilization and performance parameters, Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering, 48, 1305-1312 (2015).
- Mahdevari S, Shahriar K, Yagiz S, Shirazi MA. A support vector regression model for predicting tunnel boring machine penetration rates, International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences, 72, 214-229 (2014).
- Ghasemi E, Yagiz S, Ataei M. Predicting penetration rate of hard rock tunnel boring machine using fuzzy logic, Bulletin of Engineering Geology and the Environment, 73, 23-35 (2014).
- Yagiz S. Comment on “Point load test on meta-sedimentary rocks and correlation to UCS and BTS”, [RMRE, 46(4); 889-896], Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering, 46, 909-912 (2013).
- Sen S, Sezer EA, Gokceoglu C, Yagiz S. On sampling strategies for small and continuous data with the modeling of genetic programming and adaptive neuro-fuzzy inference system, Journal of Intelligent & Fuzzy Systems, 23, 297-303 (2012).
- Yagiz S. Comments on “Determination of strength parameters and quality assessment of Denizli travertines (SW Turkey)” [Eng Geol, 129–130 (2012) 38–47], Engineering Geology, 147–148, 149-150 (2012).
- Yagiz S, Sezer EA, Gokceoglu C. Artificial neural networks and nonlinear regression techniques to assess the influence of slake durability cycles on the prediction of uniaxial compressive strength and modulus of elasticity for carbonate rocks, International Journal of Numerical and Analytical Methods in Geomechanics, 36, 1636-1650 (2012).
- Automated Mine Ventilation and Ventilation on Demand (VOD)
- Intelligent Mining: Automated process and autonomous equipment
- Oil Shale In-Situ Retorting
- Risk Analysis and Risk Management in mining
Sabanov, S. (2018). Comparison of unconfined compressive strengths and acoustic emissions of Estonian oil shale and brittle rocks. Oil Shale, vol. 35, issue 1. pp. pp. 26–38.
Sabanov, S. (2018). Analysis of field test work results for the oil shale mine ventilation simulation Oil Shale, vol. 35, issue 4. pp. 356–364.
Sabanov, S. (2018). Financial Risk Analysis of Optimized Ventilation System in the Gold Mine. Springer Nature 2018, book chapter: Proceedings of the 27th International Symposium on Mine Planning and Equipment Selection - MPES 2018.
Sabanov, S., Karzhau, A., Aldamzharov, B., Tussupbekov, Y., Mukhamedyarova, Z., Alnazar, N. Risk Analysis methodology in use of automated ventilation control for underground mines. Gorno-Metallurgicheskaya Promyshlennost 2018 (GMP Journal in Russian).
Valgma, I.; Reinsalu, E.; Sabanov, S.; Karu, V. (2010). Quality control of Oil Shale production in Estonian mines. Oil Shale, 27(3), 239 - 249.
Sabanov, S; Pastarus, J-R; Nikitin, O; Väli, E (2008). Risk Assessment of seismic impact on the roof and pillars stability in Estonian underground. Estonian Journal of Engineering, 14(4), 325 - 333.
Pastarus, J.R.; Sabanov, S (2005). A method for securing working mining block stability in Estonian oil shale mines. Estonian Journal of Engineering, 11(1), pp. 59 – 68.
- Fundamental Rock Mechanics
- Underground excavation stability analysis and supporting systems
- Open pit slope stability
- Rock burst
- Data analysis, uncertainty modelling, optimization techniques and artificial intelligence applications in rock engineering problems
- Acoustic Emission applications in rock engineering problems
- 3D-Printing Techniques in rock testing
- Zhang, H., Adoko, A. C., Meng, Z., Wang, H. & Jiao, Y. Mechanism of the Mudstone Tunnel Failures Induced by Expansive Clay Minerals. Geotechnical and Geological Engineering. 2016: 1-13, doi: 10.1007/s10706-016-0102-y.
- Adoko A C, Jiao Y-Y, Wu L, Wang H, Wang Z-H. Predicting tunnel convergence using Multivariate Adaptive Regression Spline and Artificial Neural Network. Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology. 2013;38:368-76.
- Jiao Y-Y, Zhang H-Q, Adoko A C, Tang H-M, Zhang X-L, Tian H-N. Simulating the process of reservoir-impoundment-induced landslide using the extended DDA method. Engineering Geology. 2014;182: 37-48.
- Adoko A C, Gokceoglu C, Wu L, Zuo Q- Knowledge-based and data-driven fuzzy modeling for rockburst prediction. International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences. 2013;61:86-95.
- Huang G-H, Jiao Y-Y, Zhang X-L, Adoko A C, Li S-C. Generating Irregular Models for 3D Spherical-Particle-Based Numerical Methods. Journal of Applied Mathematics. 2013;2013:7.
- Jiao Y-Y, Song L, Wang X-Z, Adoko A C. Improvement of the U-shaped steel sets for supporting the roadways in loose thick coal seam. International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences. 2013;60:19-25.
- Jiao Y-Y, Wang Z-H, Wang X-Z, Adoko A C, Yang Z-X. Stability assessment of an ancient landslide crossed by two coal mine tunnels. Engineering Geology. 2013;159:36-44.
- Adoko A C, Wu L. Estimation of the convergence of high speed railway tunnel in weak rock using an Adaptive Neuro-Fuzzy Inference Systems (ANFIS) approach. Journal of rock mechanics and geotechnical engineering. 2012;4:11-8.
- Zuo Q, Wu L, Adoko A C, Lu Z. Analysis of surrounding rock mass deformation characteristics: Case study of BaoZhen Tunnel, Hubei China. Electronic Journal of Geotechnical Engineering. 2012;17 N:2002-13.
- Adoko A C, Zuo Q-J, Wu L. A Fuzzy Model for High-Speed Railway Tunnel Convergence Prediction in Weak Rock. Electronic Journal of Geotechnical Engineering. 2011;16:1275-95.
- Adoko A C, Wu L. Fuzzy Inference Systems-Based Approaches in Geotechnical Engineering: A Review. Electronic Journal of Geotechnical Engineering. 2011;16:543-1558.
- Adoko, A.C., H. Wang, Y-Y Jiao and I.T. Seitshiro. Developing the Ground Index (GI) for Rock Collapse Assessment in Tunneling. In the 50th US Rock Mechanics / Geomechanics Symposium, Texas, USA, 26-29 June 2016, Paper 16-575
- Adoko, A.C. and Y.-Y. Jiao. Predicting Tunnel Convergence in Weak Rocks: Multivariate Adaptive Regression Spline and Rough Set Theory Approaches. In The 8th Asian Rock Mechanics Symposium, ARMS8. Sapporo, Japan, October 14-16, 2014, Paper TUS6-1.
Enhanced Oil Recovery (i.e., nano-EOR, thermal EOR)
Improved Oil Recovery (i.e., Low Salinity Water flooding)
Heavy Oil Recovery (all aspects)
Asphaltene Precipitation Mitigation
Characterization of Petroleum Reservoirs
Advanced Well Logging and Formation Evaluation
Petroleum Reservoir Geomechanics (i.e., pore pressure production, wellbore geomechanics, hydraulic fracturing, ground subsidence assessment)
Petroleum Geoscience (interested in basin analysis, petroleum systems, and origin of petroleum, reservoir quality assessment)
Application of new technologies in Exploration & Production (E&P) activities (i.e., AI, Big Data Analytics, smart oilfields)
Introduction to Natural Resources Extraction
Reservoir Rock Properties (Petrophysics)
Well Logging and Formation Evaluation
Heavy Oil Resources and Recovery
Research Methods for Grad Students
Bastami, A., Pourafshary, P. and Shafiei, A. 2018. Densities for the Ternary System of CaCl2-H2O-CO2 at Elevated P-T: An Experimental and Modelling Approach with Well Stimulation Implications. Energies, 11(10), 1-19, https://doi.org/10.3390/en11102840.
Sabbagh, F., Mirzaei-Paiaman, A., Ostadhassan, M., Shafiei, A., Rezaee, R., Saboorian-Jooybari, H. and Chen, Z. 2019. A Further Verification of FZI* and PSRTI: Newly Developed Petrophysical Rock Typing Indices. Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, 175,693–705, JPSE, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.petrol.2019.01.014.
Al-Nofli, K., Pourafshary, P., Mosavat, N. and Shafiei, A. 2018. Effect of Initial Wettability on Performance of Smart Water Flooding in Carbonate Reservoirs—An Experimental Investigation with IOR Implications. Energies, 11(6), 1394; doi: 10.3390/en11061394.
Shafiei, A., Dusseault, M.B., Taleghani, M.N. and Kosari, E. 2018. Fracture characterization and in situ stresses inference in a fractured reservoir – An integrated geophysical-geological approach. Energies, 11(2), 312; doi:10.3390/en11020312.
Shafiei, A., Ahmadi, M.A., Dusseault, M.B., Elkamel, A., Zendehboudi, S. and Chatzis, J. 2018. Energies. Performance prediction of steamflooding fractured carbonate reservoirs. Energies, 11(2), 292; doi:10.3390/en11020292.
Shariatinia, Z., Haghighi, M., Shafiei, A., Feiznia, S. and Zendehboudi, S. 2015. PVTX characteristics of oil inclusions from Asmari formation in Kuh-e-Mond heavy oil field in Iran, International Journal of Earth Sciences, 104(3), 603-623.
Shafiei, A., Ahmadi, M.A., Zaheri, S.H., Baghban, A., Amirfakhrian, A. and Soleimani, R. 2014. Estimating hydrogen sulfide solubility in ionic liquids using a machine learning approach. Journal of Supercritical Fluids, 95, 525–534.
Shafiei, A. and Dusseault, M.B. 2014. Geomechanics of thermal oil production from carbonate reservoirs, Journal of Porous Media,17(4), 301–321.
Zendehboudi, S., Shafiei, A., Bahadori, A., James, L.A., Elkamel, A. and Lohi, A. 2013. Asphaltene precipitation and deposition in oil reservoirs – Technical aspects, experimental and hybrid neural network predictive tools, Chemical Engineering Research & Design, 92 (5), 857–875.
Shafiei, A., Zendehboudi, S., Dusseault, M.B. and Chatzis, I. 2013. Mathematical model for steamflooding in naturally fractured reservoirs, Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 52 (23), 7993–8008.
Shafiei, A., Dusseault, M.B., Zendehboudi, S. and Chatzis, I. 2013. A new screening tool for evaluation of steamflooding performance in naturally fractured carbonate heavy oil reservoirs, Fuel, 108, 502–514.
Shariatinia, Z., Feiznia, S., Shafiei, A., Haghighi, M., Mousavi-Dehghani, A., Memariani, M. and Farhadian, N., 2013. Multiple hydrocarbon charging events in Kuh-e-Mond oil field, Coastal Fars: Evidence from biomarkers in oil inclusions, Geofluids, 13(4), 594–609.
Shafiei, A. and Dusseault, M.B. 2013. Geomechanics of thermal viscous oil production in sandstones, Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, 103, 121–139.
Ahmadi, M.A., Zendehboudi, S., Shafiei, A. and James, L. 2012. A nonionic surfactant for enhanced oil recovery from carbonates: Adsorption kinetics and equilibrium. Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, 51(29), 9894–9905.
Zendehboudi, S., Shafiei, A., Chatzis, I. and Dusseault, M.B. 2012. Numerical simulation and experimental investigation of gravity drainage in porous media. Journal of Porous Media, 15(3), 211‒232.
Dusseault, M.B. and Shafiei, A. 2011. Oil Sands. Ullmann’s Encyclopedia of Chem. Eng., Wiley, 52 pages.
- (2016) Ph.D. in Mining Engineering, University of Chile, Santiago, Chile
- (2009) M.Sc. in Mining Engineering, Mineral Exploration Engineering, South Tehran University, Tehran, Iran
- (2007) B.Sc. in mining Engineering, Mineral Exploration Engineering, South Tehran University, Tehran, Iran
- 2017 to date: Assistant Professor of Mining Engineering, School of Mining and Geosciences, Nazarbayev University, Astana, Kazakhstan
- 2016 - 2017: Post-Doc at Research Institute of Petroleum Industry (RIPI), Tehran, Iran
- 2012 - 2016: Research assistant at Advanced Mining Technology Centers (AMTC), University of Chile, Santiago, Chile
- 2012 - 2016: Research assistant at Advanced Laboratory for Geostatistical Supercomputing (ALGES), University of Chile, Santiago, Chile
- Hot Paper Award: 8th, Journal of Geochemical Exploration, March to Jun 2015 for the paper “Combination of geostatistical simulation and fractal modeling for mineral resource classification”, Journal of Geochemical Exploration. Vol. 149, p. 59-73.”
- IAMG Student Research Grants linked to Mathematical Geosciences Students awards Journal: 2500 US$ (Sep, 2014)
- Top Ranked Student in University for highest GPA (2005)
- Top Ranked Student in University for highest GPA (2006)
- Top Ranked Student in University for highest GPA (2007)
- Geostatistics (Deterministic and Stochastic Techniques)
- Probabilistic Modeling of Geological/Facies units
- Ore Body Evaluation
- Sampling, QA/AC
Recent peer-reviewed publications:
- Battalgazy, N., Madani, N. (2019). “Categorization of Mineral Resources Based on Different Geostatistical Simulation Algorithms: A Case Study from an Iron Ore Deposit”. Natural Resources Research, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s11053-019-09474-9. In press.
- Abildin, Y., Madani, N., Topal, E. (2019). “A Hybrid Approach for Joint Simulation of Geometallurgical Variables with Inequality Constraint”. Minerals 9(1), 24. https://www.mdpi.com/2075-163X/9/1/24
- Madani, N., Maleki, M., Emery, X. (2018). “Nonparametric Geostatistical Simulation of Subsurface Facies: Tools for Validating the Reproduction of, and Uncertainty in, Facies Geometry”. Natural Resources Research, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s11053-018-9444-x. In press. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11053-018-9444-x
- Madani, N., Yagiz, S., Coffi Adoko, A. (2018). “Spatial Mapping of the Rock Quality Designation Using Multi-Gaussian Kriging Method”. Minerals 8(11), 530. https://www.mdpi.com/2075-163X/8/11/530/xml
- Madani, N., Sadeghi, B. (2018). “Capturing Hidden Geochemical Anomalies in Scarce Data by Fractal Analysis and Stochastic Modeling”. Natural Resources Research, DOI: 10.1007/s11053-018-9421-4. In press.https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11053-018-9421-4
- Madani, N., Naderi, A., Biranvand, B., Keshavarz, N. (2018). “Lithofacies uncertainty modeling in a siliciclastic reservoir setting by incorporating geological contacts and seismic information”. Journal of Petroleum Exploration and Production Technology, DOI: 10.1007/s13202-018-0531-7. In press.https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s13202-018-0531-7
- Madani, N., Emery, X. (2018). “A comparison of search strategies to design the cokriging neighborhood for predicting coregionalized variables”. Stochastic Environmental Research and Risk Assessment, DOI: 10.1007/s00477-018-1578-1. In press.https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00477-018-1578-1
- Eze, P.N., Madani, N., Adoko, A.C. (2018). “Multivariate Mapping of Heavy Metals Spatial Contamination in a Cu–Ni Exploration Field (Botswana) Using Turning Bands Co-simulation Algorithm”. Natural Resources Researches. Vol, 28 (1), P. 109-124. DOI: 10.1007/s11053-018-9378-3. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11053-018-9378-3
- Madani, N., Emery, X. (2017) “Plurigaussian simulation of geological domains by truncation of intrinsic random fields of order k”. Stochastic Environmental Research and Risk Assessment. Vol, 31, P. 893-913. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00477-016-1365-9
- Paravarzar, Sh., Emery, X., Madani, N. (2015) “Comparing sequential Gaussian and turning bands algorithms for cosimulating grades in multi-element deposits”. Comptes Rendus Geoscience.Vol. 347, P. 84–93. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1631071315000589
- Madani, N., Emery, X. (2014). “Simulation of geo-domains accounting for chronology and contact relationships: application to the Río Blanco copper deposit”. Stochastic Environmental Research and Risk Assessment. Vol. 29, p. 2173-2191.https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00477-014-0997-x
- Sadeghi, B., Madani, N., Carranza, E.J.M. (2015). “Combination of geostatistical simulation and fractal modeling for mineral resource classification”, Journal of Geochemical Exploration. Vol. 149, p. 59-73. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0375674214003768
- Maleki, M. Madani, N. Emery, X. (2014). “Capping and kriging grades with long-tailed distributions”. Journal of the South African Institute of Mining and Metallurgy. Vol. 114 (3), p. 255- 263. http://www.scielo.org.za/scielo.php?script=sci_abstract&pid=S2225-62532014000300016
- Asghari, O. Madani, N. (2013). “A new approach for the geological risk evaluation of coal resources through a geostatistical simulation”, Arabian Journal of Geosciences (Springer). Vol. 6, p. 929-943.https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s12517-011-0391-7
- Madani, N. Asghari, O. (2013). “Fault Detection in 3-D by Sequential Gaussian Simulation of Rock Quality Designation (RQD), Case Study: Gazestan Phosphate Ore Deposit (Central Iran)”. Arabian Journal of Geosciences (Springer). Vol. 6, p. 3737-3747. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s12517-012-0633-3
- Maleki, M., Madani, N. (2017). “Multivariate Geostatistical Analysis: an application to ore body evaluation”. Iranian Journal of Earth Sciences. Vol. 8, p. 173-184.http://ijes.mshdiau.ac.ir/article_530191.html
Recent International Conferences:
- Abildin, Y., Madani, N., Topal, E. (2018). “Forecast the mineral processing destinations based on spatial interpolation of geometallurgical variables”. In the proceeding of the Complex Orebodies Conference 2018. The Australian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy (eds.), Brisbane, Australia, p 2.
- Battalgazy, N., Madani, N. (2018). “Mineral Resource Assessment in Complex Deposits based on International Standards”. In the proceeding of the Complex Orebodies Conference 2018. The Australian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy (eds.), Brisbane, Australia, p 79.
- Madani, N. (2018). “3D Estimation of Variables with Complexity in Cross-Correlation Structures”. In the proceeding of the Complex Orebodies Conference 2018. The Australian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy (eds.), Brisbane, Australia, p 49.
- Madani, N., Emery, X. (2018). “Plurigaussian Simulation of Geological Domains in the Presence of Spatial Trends”. In the proceeding of the IAMG 2018, 19th Annual Conference of the International Association for Mathematical Geosciences. Hron, K. Babek, O. Fiserova, E. van den Boogaart, R. (eds.), Olomouc, Czech Republic, p. 25.
- Madani, N., Emery, X. (2018). “Sequential co–simulation for resources modelling: How good is the reproduction of the joint spatial correlation structure? ”. In the proceeding of the Geometallurgy Conference 2018, Back to the Future. The Southern African Institute of Mining and Metallurgy (ed.), Cape Town, South Africa, 13 p.
- Madani, N., Yagiz, S., Adoko, A., Battalgazy, N. (2018). “Uncertainty quantification of rock quality designation at the Gazestan phosphate deposit”. In the proceeding of the Geometallurgy Conference 2018, Back to the Future. The Southern African Institute of Mining and Metallurgy (ed.), Cape Town, South Africa, 14 p.
During the tenure at Petroleum Institute, Dr. Rehan was involved in numerous research activities related to special core analysis and chemical enhanced oil recovery including Surfactant Polymer flooding and CO2 foam flooding for light oil, high temperature, high salinity carbonate reservoirs. Dr. Rehan has also worked as a team lead to establish state of the art EOR lab having coreflooding rig coupled with medical CT in ADNOC research and Innovation center (ADRIC), Petroleum Institute in collaboration with Statoil. In addition to this, he was also team lead to establish the SCAL lab with linear X-ray coreflooding system. All of his research focused on the designing and implementation of different IOR/EOR techniques for industrial application.
The focus of his research comprises of Chemical Enhanced Oil Recovery, CO2 Foam Flooding, Reservoir Engineering, Nonlinear Parameter Optimization and image analysis for insitu saturation monitoring.