Dr Trueman has over 30 year’s international experience in the metalliferous and coal mining industries. He has worked in mining teaching and research at Universities in South Africa, the United Kingdom, Canada and Australia and in mining research for the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organization of Australia. He has also worked directly for mining companies; as a production Mining Engineer for the then National Coal Board in the United Kingdom and in Technical Services for the Anglo American Corporation of South Africa. During his time working for universities he supervised 12 PhD candidates and 2 Research Master’s degree candidates to completion and supervised 19 taught Master’s degree candidates’ research topics. He has held numerous research grants funded from both government and the international mining industry. He has taught Mining Engineering courses at both the Bachelor’s and Master’s degree levels. The PhD candidates that he supervised were purely by research and did not involve organized course work, as is the norm for Universities in the United Kingdom and Australia. During his time working for universities he carried out consultancy work for mines in the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, Brazil and Argentina. Dr Trueman has been involved as project manager and/or principal researcher in numerous research projects on topics relating to ultra-short radius drilling and metalliferous and coal mining Rock Mechanics. These have mainly involved the participation of research students. All of the topics had an industry focus, with the results of the research being directly applied to industry practice. The research students went on to employment either in the international mining industry or for universities in Australia, Chile, Indonesia and Sweden. For the last 8 years Dr Trueman worked for an international Mining Consultancy doing Rock Mechanics applied research for the Australian Mining Industry and Rock Mechanics consultancy projects for numerous mines in Australia, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, Russia and the Czech Republic. Dr Trueman is experienced in a wide range of commodities areas including coal, gold, copper, silver, zinc, lead, diamonds and natural gas. He has authored over 50 technical publications in peer-reviewed international conference proceedings and in Scientific Citation Index journals in the field of mining engineering. He is also the primary inventor on 2 international patents and has contributed to 2 chapters in a book detailing the results of research from an international study into block and panel caving.
- Trueman R, Meyer T G H and Stockwell M. Fluid drilling system. PCT/AU96/00783 now sealed as 76869/96. In Canada 2239734, China 96198876.2, Poland 182186, Russia 98112575, South Africa 96/10255, United Kingdom 2322889 and United States of America 10/237,255, WO97/21900.
- Trueman R, Meyer T G H and Stockwell M. Erectable arm assembly for use in boreholes. PCT/AU98/0042 now sealed as 77509/98. In Canada 2292639, China 98805857.X, Poland P337328, Russia 2000100345, South Africa 98/4906, United Kingdom 2342373 and United States of America 09/917,612, WO98/55727.
- Brown E T. Block Caving Geomechanics Second Edition, The International Caving Study 1997-2004. JKMRC Monograph Series in Mining and Mineral Processing 3. The University of Queensland. Chapter 3 and 5 contributions by R Trueman.
- Langosch U, Thomas R and Trueman R. Recent Developments in the Understanding of Longwall Geomechanics in Deep Weak Roof Types and Shallow Strong Roof Types. Aachen International Mining Symposia Aachen, Germany, 11-12 June, 2014.
- Trueman R, Thomas R and Hoyer D. Understanding the Causes of Roof Control Problems on a Longwall face from Shield Monitoring Data: a Case Study. Proceedings 30th International Conference on Ground Control in Mining, Morgantown, WV, USA, July 26-28, 2011.
- Stewart P C, Trueman R and Brunton I. Factors Influencing Overbreak in the Barkers Orebody, Kundana Gold Mine: Narrow Vein Case Study. Trans Inst Materials, Minerals and Mining and the AusIMM (Mining Technology), Volume 120, No 2, 2011, pp 80-89.
- Trueman R, Lyman G and Cocker A. Longwall roof control through a fundamental understanding of shield-strata interaction. J. Rock Mech and Min Sci. 46 (2009) 371-380.
- Trueman R, Castro R and Halim A. A study of multiple draw zone interaction in block caving mines by means of a large 3D physical model. In J. Rock Mech and Min Sci. 45 (2008) 1044-1051.
- Castro R, Trueman R and Halim A. A study of isolated draw zones in block caving mines by means of a large 3D physical model. J. Rock Mech and Min Sci 44 (2007) 860-870.
- Stewart P, Trueman R & Lyman G. The development of a benchmark stoping width for longhole narrow-vein stoping. Trans Inst Min and Metall. (Sect A: Min Industr), Vol 117 No 3, 2007, pp 128-135.
- Stewart P and Trueman R. Quantifying the impact of stress relaxation on excavation design. Trans Inst Min and Metall. (Sect A: Min Industr). Vol 113, No 2: A107-117, 2004.
- Trueman R and Mawdesley C. Predicting cave initiation and propagation. Trans Canadian Inst Min Met Vol 96, No 1071: 54-59, (2003).
- Trueman R, Pierce M and Wattimena R. Quantifying Stresses and Support Requirements in the Undercut and Production Level Drifts of Caving Mines. J. Rock Mech and Min Sci 39 (2002) 617-632.
- Mawdesley C, Trueman R and Whiten W. Extending the Mathews’ stability graph for open stope design. Trans Instn Min Metall (Sect A: Min Industr). Vol 110: A27-39, 2001.
- Trueman R, Mikula P, Mawdesley C and Harries N. Experience in Australia with the application of the Mathews’ method for open stope design. Trans Canadian Inst Min Met Vol 93, No 1036, January 2000.
- Trueman R, Coulthard M A and Poulsen B. Estimating Unsupported Spans for Highwall Mining. Rock Mechanics — Tools and Techniques. Proc of the 2nd North American Rock Mechanics Symposium: NARMS 96, Montreal, 1985-1992, 1996.
- Duncan Fama M E, Trueman R & Craig M S. Two and three dimensional elasto-plastic analysis for coal pillar design and its application to highwall mining. J. Rock Mech and Min Sci & Geomech Abstr, Vol. 32, No. 3, 215-225, 1995.
- Thin I G, Pine R J. & Trueman R. Numerical Modelling as an Aid to the Determination of Stress Distribution in Longwall Coal Mining. Int. J. Rock Mech. Min. Sci. & Geomech. Abstr., Vol 30, No 7, 1403-1409, 1993.
- Tyler D B & Trueman R. A Probabilistic Key Block Analysis for Support Design and the Effects of Mining Induced Stress on Key Block Stability: A Case Study. Trans Inst Min Met, Section A, Jan-Apr 1993, Vol 104.
- All aspects of Metalliferous and Coal Mining Rock Mechanics.
- Ultra-Short radius drilling
Laurent Richard received a Ph.D. in Geochemistry in 1993 from the University of Strasbourg, France. He subsequently was a post-doctoral researcher (1993-2002) at the University of California (Berkeley, USA), where he constituted an extensive thermodynamic database for organic compounds of geochemical interest, which was used to construct a thermodynamic model of petroleum generation from kerogen in sedimentary basins. He was appointed Maître de Conférences (2002-2009) at Université Henri Poincaré in Nancy (France), initiating research projects on the interactions between organic compounds, aqueous fluids and minerals in high-temperature geological processes, being helped in this task by a cohort of undergraduate and graduate students. He moved again, this time to Barcelona (Spain) where he worked as a consultant for an environmental company (2009-2011), then as an independent consultant for the oil industry (2012-2017), pursuing his work on the thermodynamics of organic compounds at high temperatures. He joined the School of Mining and Geosciences at Nazarbayev University in October 2017.
- Brosse, E., Bachaud, P., Richard, L., Michel, A., Guichet, X., Rossi, T., Blanke, R., Gaucher, E.C., Parra, T. (2017) Quantification of carbon dioxide sourced by mineral reactions in ultradeep sedimentary basins. Marine and Petroleum Geology 81, 112-133.
- Milesi, V., Guyot, F., Brunet, F., Richard, L., Recham, N., Benedetti, M., Dairou, J., Prinzhofer, A. (2015) Formation of CO2, H2 and condensed carbon from siderite dissolution in the 200-300°C range and at 50 MPa. Geochimica Cosmochimica Acta 154, 201-211.
- Richard, L., Uteyev, R., Peters, H. (2014) Thermodynamic description of organic/inorganic interactions in TSR reservoirs. Society of Petroleum Engineers, SPE-172254-MS.
- Richard, L., Gaona, X. (2011) Thermodynamic properties of organic iodine compounds. Geochimica Cosmochimica Acta 75, 7304-7350.
- Helgeson, H.C., Richard, L., McKenzie, W.F., Norton, D.L., Schmitt, A. (2009) A chemical and thermodynamic model of oil generation in hydrocarbon source rocks. Geochimica Cosmochimica Acta 73, 594-695.
- Stability of hydrocarbons at high temperatures and pressures.
- Organic carbon in metamorphic rocks.
- Abiogenic synthesis of organic compounds in mid-ocean ridge hydrothermal systems.
- Geochemistry of sulfur in petroleum systems.