How to apply
Admission requirements for graduate programs
- an undergraduate degree (Bachelor’s degree or equivalent) in mining/petroleum engineering or closely related discipline. During the application period, final year students may submit the official current transcript for consideration;
- a minimum CGPA of 2.75 (out of 4.0); or a minimum CGPA of 2.5 (out of 4.0) for mining/petroleum professionals with at least 2 years of relevant technical experience.
- High level of English proficiency. The absolute minimum requirement for English language proficiency test reports for admission to the program is:
- Overall IELTS test score of 6.5 (with sub-scores no less than 6.0) or the equivalent TOEFL score as posted on the ETS website;
- The absolute minimum requirement for English language proficiency test report for conditional admission (NUZYP) is an overall IELTS test score of 5.5, with no more than one sub-score of 5.0, or the equivalent TOEFL scores as posted on the ETS website;
*Applicants, at the discretion of the Admissions Committee, can be exempted from submitting the language proficiency test report if:
– one of their earlier academic degrees was earned in a country with English as the language of official communication, academic instruction and daily life;
– an undergraduate and/or graduate degree was earned in a program which was officially taught in English.
- Strong reading, analytical, and mathematical skills as demonstrated by GRE test (optional). Although an official GRE score is not an essential requirement, an applicant can enhance her/his application with a competitive GRE score;
- High motivation and a strong interest in the program as outlined in a statement of purpose.
Applicants applying to the MSc in Mining Engineering or MSc in Petroleum Engineering program are required to complete and submit online the application form available at the University website (admissions.nu.edu.kz) as well as a complete package of admission documents, before the deadline. Admissions documents are submitted electronically.
- Complete Application form for MSc in Mining Engineering /MSc in Petroleum Engineering program;
- Official copy of degree diplomas/certificates with transcripts (with notarized English translation);
- Official proof of work experience (with notarized English translation) (if necessary);
- IELTS or TOEFL test report/certificate valid as of date of online documents submission to the MSc in Mining Engineering /MSc in Petroleum Engineering program;
- Official copy of Passport/national ID (with notarized English translation);
- GRE test reports/certificates (OPTIONAL) valid as of date of online documents submission to the MSc in Mining Engineering /MSc in Petroleum Engineering program;
- a curriculum vitae (up to 2 pages);
- a statement of purpose for graduate studies (up to 500 words);
- two letters of recommendation
In case your application will progress to the next stage, you will be asked to provide the notarized and/or original copies of your application package to Graduate Admissions Department. Applicants who obtained their degree diplomas/certificates from foreign educational institutions must request their official transcripts be sent directly to the following address: Graduate Admissions Department, 53, Kabanbay Batyr ave., Astana 010000, Kazakhstan.
Once you have found the course or programme you are interested in, you can apply directly using the online application system.